December 16, 2018
Lessons From The Story of David and Goliath
The story of David and Goliath is a very familiar story. There are lessons we can apply to our lives from this story.
The Philistines were at war with Israel. From this enemy camp came a champion, strong and gigantic, named Goliath. He struck fear into Israel. Whoever lost that day would serve the other army. Goliath hurled insults at God and Israel but none in the Israelite army dared to face Goliath. (1 Samuel 17: 11, 24)
David come into this scene. Known for his intimacy and time with God, David was appalled by the insults of Goliath against God. David was not afraid.
(1 Samuel 17:26)
Lesson we can learn from this story as we enter 2019:
1. David was bigger than his fears because God in him was bigger than Goliath. God will see us through little fears, level by level, to the Goliath fears. God can build boldness in us. God wants us to face our mountains and overcome our fears (1 John 4:4)
2. David’s size did not matter to him because he was walking tall inside of him. David’s history with God in defeating smaller enemies gave him confidence. He wasn’t worried. It doesn’t matter how others perceives us. It is between God and you. Go get your victories. (1 Samuel 17:33-37)
3. David made use of what he already had. What God has placed in our hands, like David’s sling and stone, are what God uses for our victories and miracles for us, as well as others. God wants us to forget the past, let go and rise up. We are miracle workers because the God of miracles is in us. Let us use what we have.(Exodus 4:3, 1 Samuel 17: 49-50)
4. David believed he could defeat Goliath. Defeat before doesn’t mean defeat in the future. Don’t let doubts overtake you. Rebuke the doubts, do what God wants you to do in faith. God will hold on to us until we embrace and walk in the victories he has for us. (Mark 9:23, Philippians 4:13)
5. Don’t be intimidated by your capabilities. David was not weak in his spirit as he faced Goliath. We don’t have to let anything or anyone intimidate us.
When we have God strong inside of us, we don’t have to be intimidated. We don’t have to receive negative words or declarations from any other people or the enemy. God wants us to overcome the enemy, not even people who the enemy uses. God can use people to grow us who are difficult. The strength and confidence is in God.
He won’t ask us to face something we cannot do. God knows our potential to move forward. He will do a complete and perfect work and will in us. He wants us to walk into 2019 and to face our battles and have victory.