Good Friday Is All About The Obedience of Christ
If Jesus was not obedient, we would not have Good Friday and Easter. Communion is a result of Jesus’ obedience.
“For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war according to the flesh. For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds, casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ, and being ready to punish all disobedience when your obedience is fulfilled.”
II Corinthians 10:3-6 NKJV
We want to look at the obedience of Christ. We draw our victory and strength from the consistency of the obedience of Christ.
Jesus Christ was fully obedient to the Father even to the point of death.
“looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.”
Hebrews 12:2 NKJV
Purpose of message:
We can draw obedience from Christ so we can no longer walk in our disobedience.
The five types of obedience:
1. Partial obedience is disobedience. King Saul didn’t obey in destroying the enemy completely as instructed.
2. Reluctant obedience. Jonah refused to preach to Nineveh and grumbled when he did (Jonah 4:1).
3. Delayed obedience is disobedience. Abraham didn’t leave his nation fully behind and had his family follow him. Abraham forfeited many days of his life.
4. Forced obedience is disobedience . Peter reluctantly said yes to the call of God (Mark 10:28). Are we forced to serve God?
5. God loves total obedience. It cannot take place unless there is willingness in our heart. (Isaiah 1:19)
If you major in the commandments of God you will abound in the blessings of God.
There is more freedom and joy in obedience than in disobedience. Disobedience keeps us from living a full life that Christ intended for us.
We can live a total life,even if circumstances aren’t perfect, through obedience.
Obedience promotes a surrendered heart. Disobedience causes a cluttered heart.
Aspects of Obedience.
1. Obedience always pleases God. (Mark 1: 9-11) The end result is Him granting the desires of hearts as we delight in Him.(Psalm 20:4, Psalm 37:4) Obedience is virtually by the grace of God.
2. Obedience is our God chosen lifestyle. If Jesus is the champion of obedience, the devil is the champion of disobedience (Ephesians 2:2). Every believer must choose this lifestyle of obedience with which there is a reward (Proverbs 14:12, Proverbs 3:5-6, Matthew 16: 24 - 27, Deuteronomy 28: 1-2) In the beginning obedience is difficult but eventually and always is a rewarding life.
Obedience is better than sacrifice and is number one.